Congrats! You've just been contracted with an insurance company. Now, what? Today's post covers some quick things you need to know before you get started filing your first claim.
How to file a nutritional counseling claim:
Click "New Client" to add your patient and request an eligibility check if you need one
Click "File Claim" and choose the patient you want to file a claim for
1. New Client
Demographic Info: We need some key info about your patient in order to look them up and file claims. Take care when entering this info- an incorrectly entered date of birth or insurance number can cause claim processing delays.
Eligibility and Benefits Check: We do these the first time you see a patient. While they aren't a guarantee of coverage (which is determined at the time of service). Eligibility and benefits checks can give us a lot of useful info, including co-pays and deductibles. Request them as soon as possible- that way if we need a pre-authorization or referral we'll have time to gather it before your first appointment.
2. File a Claim
For this section, we ask a few key questions:
- What type of appointment? e.g., Initial appointment, group appointment, etc.
- Where did it take place? e.g., Office setting, patient's home
- When? e.g., 05/16/2016
- Are all diagnosis and other details correct?
With Healthy Bytes, you don't need to know the codes. But you do need to keep a few things in mind. This is a list of commonly overlooked issues:
- Don't file claims before you see the patient. Claims can only be filed after you've seen them.
- Explain to patients that insurance is an estimate of coverage. They are responsible for any portion that insurance doesn't cover- but you need to establish those polices. (check out Dietetic Practice- Step 6 for more info.)
- Be sure to have a HIPAA form completed
Healthy Bytes Tips and Tricks
Using Healthy Bytes to file claims? Here are few platform tricks.
- Our site looks and works best with Google's Chrome browser
- You'll know you've entered a patient or a claim correctly if a screen pops up. If you don't get the pop-up and it looks like you're stuck on a page- there was an error somewhere (usually it's missing required info or the date is formatted incorrectly)
Have questions? We're here to help! Email us at email@example.com.