I’m Not a U.S. Citizen – Can I Get Credentialed and Contracted?

The team here at Healthy Bytes is sometimes asked whether, as a non-U.S. citizen, the process of undergoing credentialing and contracting with health insurance companies would be different than undertaking it as a U.S. citizen. While this question may not apply to many of you, there are students and entrepreneurs who hold U.S. visas that allow them temporary residency but not citizenship. How does this impact their ability to accept insurance? 

The good news is that yes, as a non-U.S. citizen, your ability to ultimately accept insurance on behalf of your clients is much the same as that for U.S. citizens. First, initiate the credentialing process once you secure your tax ID number (sometimes called your Employer Identification Number) through the IRS website. Do check in with your attorney or accountant if you have questions about setting up your business as a non-U.S. citizen. 

You’ll also want to make sure you apply for a National Provider Identifier (NPI), a unique 10-digit number assigned to an individual health care provider or organization by the National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES). The HIPAA Administration Simplification Standard requires it for all healthcare providers to bill insurance. For more information, visit the NPPES website to apply for an NPI, or your Healthy Bytes contracting liaison will be able to take care of this as part of your credentialing and contracting process! As a non-US citizen you will need to follow a few different steps than the typical online NPI application on the NPPES site; Healthy Bytes can navigate this for you.

Overall, the credentialing and contracting process with insurance companies is generally the same for all, regardless of citizenship. The Healthy Bytes team is here should you have questions about the credentialing and contracting process!